Program Objectives, Student Outcomes and Statistics
Program Educational Objectives
The University of Alabama Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering has adopted the following objectives to ensure that our graduates are equipped to meet known and anticipated technical challenges in our profession. Graduates of the Metallurgical and Materials Engineering program are expected within a few years of graduation to:
- Be successful in applying fundamental principles of metallurgical engineering to solve contemporary engineering problems and effectively communicate those solutions to stakeholders.
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuing education by participating in activities that enhance professional development in their career path.
- Contribute to the profession in ways that benefit society.
The Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering at the University of Alabama will demonstrate that its graduates have:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration for public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgements, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
Enrollment and Graduation Statistics
The University of Alabama Office of Institutional Research and Assessment maintains annual enrollment and graduate data for the programs in the College of Engineering. Please visit the OIRA Statistical Profiles website to find statistics for student enrollment, degrees awarded and faculty data.